Before submitting your manuscript, please check the following lists of series and subjects to make sure we publish in your area.
- Avant Garde & Modernism Studies
- Rethinking Theory
- Studies in Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy
- Studies in Russian Literature and Theory
- Topics in Historical Philosophy
Fiction, Poetry, and Nonfiction Series and Imprints
- Curbstone Press
- TriQuarterly/Northwestern University Press (contemporary American fiction and poetry)
- Jewish Lives (we are not accepting manuscripts in this series at this time)
- Northwestern (nonseries general nonfiction)
- Playscripts (to be considered, the play must have past and future professional productions)
- Performance studies
- European Drama Classics (drama in translation)
Regional (Chicago and Illinois)
- General nonfiction
- Biography and memoir
- If your manuscript is under consideration by another press, please indicate this.
- Use a clip or rubber band to hold your cover letter, manuscript, and biographical information together.
- Keep a file or a copy of your manuscript. We assume that all submissions are a printout of a computer file, and we DO NOT RETURN unsolicited manuscripts.
- Do not call the Press or the editor to inquire about the status of your manuscript. We review every manuscript, and you will be contacted when a decision has been made.
- Keep in mind that we publish approximately sixty books per year, and those sixty books must be balanced in terms of the subject areas and genres described above. Of necessity, we are very selective about which books we pursue for publication.
- If you are submitting a translation, please provide information on why the author's work warrants translation as well as information on the audience for the work.
- We are a nonprofit publisher. If funding or a university subvention is available for your project, please indicate that in your cover letter.
Submitting Scholarly Books
To submit a scholarly manuscript, please send the following. Allow approximately twelve weeks for the review of your manuscript.
- Cover letter
- Proposal containing a brief description of the content and focus of the book
- Table of contents
- Sample chapter (optional)
- Information on how much of the manuscript is currently available
- Information on the author's or translator's background, including a list of previously published books
Northwestern University Press welcomes the work of junior scholars, including first singly authored books, and will make every effort to assure timely consideration of manuscripts, but the Press cannot guarantee a decision on publication of any book within 6 months of its submission.
Submitting Fiction, Poetry, or Nonfiction
To submit fiction, poetry, or general nonfiction, please send the complete manuscript or several sample chapters along with biographical information on the author, including a list of previously published books. Because of the high volume of submissions, allow at least sixteen weeks for the review of your manuscript.
Where to Send Your Manuscript
Please send your submissions via regular USPS mail to:
Northwestern University Press
629 Noyes Street
Evanston, IL 60208
No Phone Calls Please!