- A book proposal should contain the following items: a cover letter, a detailed description of the work, the table of contents, and the author’s current resume. We prefer not to receive complete manuscripts.
- Keep a file or a copy of your proposal materials. We assume that all submissions are a printout of a computer file, and we DO NOT RETURN unsolicited manuscripts.
- Do not call the Press to inquire about the status of your manuscript. We review every manuscript, and you will be contacted when a decision has been made.
- Keep in mind that we publish approximately sixty books per year, and those sixty books must be balanced in terms of the subject areas and genres in which we publish. Out of necessity, we are very selective about which books we pursue for publication.
- If you are submitting a translation, please provide information on why the author’s work warrants translation as well as information on the audience for the work.
- We are a nonprofit publisher. If funding or a university subvention is available for your project, please indicate that in your cover letter.
Where to Send Your Manuscript
Please send your proposals via regular USPS mail to:
Northwestern University Press
629 Noyes Street
Evanston, IL 60208